SONY HXRNX5 NO LONGER AVAILABLE - Replaced by the new Sony PXWX160.
The first in Sony's line of NXCAM solid-state camcorders, the HXR-NX5 is also the company's first professional-level AVCHD camcorder. And while it may look similar to its HDV predecessor, the HVR-Z5U, in fact this is a very different animal. Its ability to capture HD and SD video in AVCHD and MPEG-2 formats--and save it to solid state media--is only one of its distinctive traits. Full-raster 1920 x 1080 video is another, including the option of recording 720/60p video as well as 60i, 30p and 24p. And because the NX5 can capture to media cards plus an optional flash memory unit, you can simultaneously record a different signal to each, whether HD + a backup or HD + SD. The footage is then easily downloaded to a computer or backup drive using USB 2.0.
Three 1/3" CMOS Exmor sensors, a 20x 'G' lens and dual XLR inputs are carried over from the Z5U, but the beautiful video and audio these elements produce are now in service to a higher level of professional control. An HD-SDI output makes this one of the most affordable camcorders to provide uncompressed 4:2:2 output, while HDMI and RCA outputs allow for connection to professional and consumer-grade monitors alike. Timecode sync between two or more cameras is also possible, and the addition of GPS technology makes for another first on an AVCHD pro camcorder.
Meanwhile, a newly designed user interface--including convenient MODE buttons and a touch-screen menu--make setup and operation easier than ever. And if touch-screen controls aren't your thing, there are the usual navigation keys and thumbwheel to help get you around. Whether you're recording at one of the camera's four bit rates (24/17/9/5Mbps), taking advantage of simultaneous or relay HYBRID capture, or recording AC-3 or linear PCM audio, the HXR-NX5U gives you near-professional flexibility and control on a prosumer budget.
- Exmor 3 CMOS Sensors
- Three Exmor CMOS sensors with a ClearVid array comprise a state-of-the-art sensor system from Sony which realizes high resolution, high sensitivity, a wide dynamic range, and excellent color reproduction, regardless of the codec.
- Memory Recording and HYBRID
- Memory recording on affordable consumer memory cards offers workflow efficiency at both the shooting and editing stages. Combined with hybrid recording, using an optional HXR-FMU128, the user achieves a totally IT-based workflow, with the added bonus of instant data backup.
- AVCHD Format
- The revolutionary AVCHD recording format, which utilizes the MPEG-4, AVC/H.264 video codec, allows users to record HD video footage onto random access media, such as Memory Stick PRO Duo and SDHC memory cards. Its intelligent and sophisticated algorithm makes AVCHD a highly efficient compression format ideal for memory recording and IT-based editing.
- G Lens
- "G Lens", the lens featured in other successful Sony camcorders, already enjoys an excellent industry reputation. In the HXR-NX5U, this sophisticated lens is optimized to complement the camcorder's advanced image sensor and image-processing technology.
- Natural-touch Lens Operation
- The focus, zoom and iris ring are positioned on the lens barrel, and this design offers the same operability as general interchangeable lenses. Focus, zoom and iris control can all be managed easily.
- Six-blade Iris
- The six-blade iris diaphragm is nearly circular, enabling the creation of an extremely beautiful background blur.
- Built-in ND filters
- The HXR-NX5U is equipped with three built-in ND (Neutral Density) filters--1/4, 1/16, 1/64--which help to vary the depth of field with iris control.
- Active SteadyShot Feature
- Active SteadyShot® feature is a new, enhanced image stabilization system that provides a powerful shake-reduction capability, vital for handheld usage. Additional stabilization is provided by the increased optical lens coverage area and by improved detection with state-of-the-art compensation
- A built-in global positioning system (GPS) locator allows satellite navigation data to be recorded directly onto footage for reference or posting on popular internet mapping systems. GPS data can be invaluable when searching for footage or to provide evidence of where and when footage was recorded.
- Relay Record with Dual Memory Slots
- Another new feature is continuous recording between two memory card slots. The new HXR-NX5U camcorder automatically cycles between the dual memory slots. When using two, 32-GB memory cards, six hours of continuous HD footage can be recorded.
- Optional 128GB Flash Memory Unit, HXR-FMU128
- Sony proudly introduces the HXR-FMU128, an optional 128-GB flash memory unit exclusively designed for the HXR-NX5U camcorder. This enables hybrid recording of video footage - another world first for an AVCHD professional camcorder. Other capabilities include simultaneous recording of HD and HD video footage, and even the combination of HD and SD, realizing an instant backup in the desired format. The 128-GB storage capacity provides continuous recording for almost half a day at the highest bit-rate - incredible in a unit of such compact size. This is an ideal option for recording music festivals, seminars, and weddings, and for making documentaries, all of which require extended recording times.
- Loss-less Audio Recording Capability
- The audio recording format on HXR-NX5U can be selected from either Dolby Digital stereo or Linear PCM stereo. LPCM audio recording provides uncompressed audio quality. Customers who need high quality audio, such as in music videos will be able to acquire CD quality audio data.
- MPEG-2 for SD Recording Format
- SD format recording is available in addition to HD format recording. The SD recording format uses MPEG-2 which is the same compression codec as standard DVD-VIDEO Discs. Customers who make delivery in DVD-VIDEOs will be able to obtain video data in sufficient SD quality using this format.
- Easy Operation with Newly Designed Menu
- The completely new menu interface allows users to adjust camcorder functions via a touch panel or buttons and switches. This interface is newly designed specifically for this model. Easier and more straightforward operations are achieved by the combination of a high-resolution XtraFine LCD panel, XtraFine electronic viewfinder (EVF), and well-defined layout.
- Hybrid Operation with Touch Panel & Buttons
- The HXR-NX5 is equipped with a touch panel LCD with a complete new interface specifically designed for this new camcorder. Most of settings can be adjusted by touch screen operation, which is easy, straightforward, and instinctive for operators. However, standard operation using buttons and switches is also available, to provide users with choices to suit any shooting situation.
We understand that sometimes you may need to return a product you have purchased from Vizcom Technologies. To assist you, we have set out the Vizcom Technologies Returns Policy in more detail under our terms and conditions page.
1. Australian Consumer Law
Our Returns Policy includes, and does not seek to exclude or limit, the rights you have under the Australian Consumer Law (if you are a consumer) and other relevant laws.
If you are a consumer under the Australian Consumer Law:
- Our goods come with guarantees that cannot be excluded under the Australian Consumer Law. You are entitled to a replacement or refund for a major failure and for compensation for any other reasonably foreseeable loss or damage. You are also entitled to have the goods repaired or replaced if the goods fail to be of acceptable quality and the failure does not amount to a major failure. For more information on product warranties please refer to the individual manufacturers warranty period.
Vizcom also Recommends
Panasonic AG-DVX200 4K Handheld Camcorder with Four Thirds Sensor and Integrated Zoom Lens
Panasonic Varicam Record Module AU-VREC1 (Must be used with either AU-V23HS1G or AU-V35C1G)